History

Beginnings:

Hope Community Church’s history under that name started in March 2016, but the foundation for it to exist was laid in October of 1908.
 
Second Baptist Church continued to grow and moved into the current facility at 1114 South Lafayette Street on April 4th, 1976.
 

A new church plant:

The other half of the history started in January of 2012, when Element Church of Forest City, NC, started a Shelby campus in the auditorium of Shelby Middle School.
 
Element Church- Shelby Campus met at the middle school until February 2015 when they moved to the Dover Foundation YMCA.
 

The Merger:

In October 2015 is when the Lord began to move the two bodies of Second Baptist Church and Element Church- Shelby Campus together.
 
Through what started as a vision of what “could be” and “should be” for these two bodies of believers, a new community became a reality in March 2016.
 
That is when Second Baptist Church of Shelby and Element Church- Shelby Campus came together to form Hope Community Church.
 
Since then, the Lord has been incredibly faithful in providing for that vision and helping it to grow. We have been blessed to see His faithfulness as we seek to follow Him in our mission: to help those far from God find hope in God.