As a part of our Us to Them series, we are reading through the book of Acts all together as a church day by day. Follow along with the scripture and answer the questions at the bottom as we study the growth of the early church!
Seven Chosen to Serve
1 Now in these days when the disciples were increasing in number, a complaint by the Hellenists[a] arose against the Hebrews because their widows were being neglected in the daily distribution. 2 And the twelve summoned the full number of the disciples and said, “It is not right that we should give up preaching the word of God to serve tables. 3 Therefore, brothers,[b] pick out from among you seven men of good repute, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we will appoint to this duty.4 But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word.” 5 And what they said pleased the whole gathering, and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolaus, a proselyte of Antioch. 6 These they set before the apostles, and they prayed and laid their hands on them.
7 And the word of God continued to increase, and the number of the disciples multiplied greatly in Jerusalem, and a great many of the priests became obedient to the faith.
Stephen Is Seized
8 And Stephen, full of grace and power, was doing great wonders and signs among the people. 9 Then some of those who belonged to the synagogue of the Freedmen (as it was called), and of the Cyrenians, and of the Alexandrians, and of those from Cilicia and Asia, rose up and disputed with Stephen. 10 But they could not withstand the wisdom and the Spirit with which he was speaking. 11 Then they secretly instigated men who said, “We have heard him speak blasphemous words against Moses and God.” 12 And they stirred up the people and the elders and the scribes, and they came upon him and seized him and brought him before the council, 13 and they set up false witnesses who said, “This man never ceases to speak words against this holy place and the law, 14 for we have heard him say that this Jesus of Nazareth will destroy this place and will change the customs that Moses delivered to us.” 15 And gazing at him, all who sat in the council saw that his face was like the face of an angel.
Acts Chapter Six
General Knowledge Questions
1. How did verse 6:1 describe how the number of disciples was increasing?
2. What was the problem that occurred after the growth?
3. What did the Apostles say they had to leave in order to “serve tables”?
4. How many were chosen to help the Apostles with the problem?
5. List the qualifications or characteristics required for the men to be chosen?
6. List the names of the first “deacons”?
7. What did it say Stephen had been doing?
8. Who was Stephen arguing with in verses 5:9?
9. What did these people say Stephen was doing that was “wrong”?
10. How did they describe the face of Stephen?
11. List the names of all the people mentioned in this chapter.
Critical Thinking Questions
1. Describe what the problem was in 6:1-3?
2. Discuss how the problem in 6:1-3 is similar to problems in today’s church?
3. Analyze the process for choosing deacons in 6:1-7?
4. Discuss the results of solution and implications on today’s church?